In 1988 while recovering from a serious cycling accident, Paul Carroll created the concept and design of The World Flag.
The original artwork, (silk on canvas) consisted of all the members of the United Nations surrounding Buckminster Fullers’ Dymaxion map of the earth. The debut of The Flag was at a Prayer for World Peace event at the United Nations headquarters in NYC. The Flag was displayed at many other venues including:
- The World Trade Center in NYC - Tower 1 Plaza
- Earth Day Central Park, NYC
- School Assemblies
- Concerts ( Richie Havens, Ziggy Marley, Blues Traveler, B 52’s, Burning Spear)
- Environmental and Cultural Events
- Tower Records - Friends of Broadway in NYC
- Liberty State Park Cultural Events, Jersey City, NJ
- Arrowhead Ranch Musical Events, NY
- Wetlands Preserve Flag Day, NYC
- The Alliance for Environmental Education Conference, Washington D.C.
- Up, Up, and Away Hot Air Balloon Festival, Pa
Now nearly 20 years after its inception, thanks to new advances in digital technology, there are actual "World Flags". Here are some articles and photos of events….